Hybrid Opportunity – Open to WFH
A nice, growing, and emerging company with good leadership looking to upgrade. A cost accountant is needed for all aspects of Manufacturing and Production costing analysis and inventory for all business locations. The cost accountant is responsible for comparing standard cost to actual cost and identifying and explaining variances by customer, part number, and production jobs. The cost accountant must also work closely with engineering and manufacturing personnel to resolve variances and adjust Bills of Materials (BOMs).
• Develop and maintain the cost accounting system that ensures accurate costing.
• Update and maintain standard costs for all products.
• Roll costs for all products on an as-needed basis.
• Ensure all Bill of Materials (BOMs) are complete, accurate and correct.
• Audit BOMs on a regular basis to ensure all relevant costs are captured.
• Analyze production costs and prepare regular reports comparing standard costs to actual production costs.
• Post inventory transactions into the system.
• Analyze any changes to the BOMs to determine the effect on margins.
• Analyze and investigate any significant inventory variances, favorable or unfavorable.
• Analyze costs and recommend cost-saving strategies.
• Coordinate with inventory cycle count teams to ensure inventory accuracy.
• Responsible for account reconciliation of physical inventories and cycle counts.
• Run on-hand inventory reports and compare them with the general ledger.
• Coordinate with operations for period-end cut-off and any inventory adjustments.
• Perform inventory reconciliations at period end; investigate variances.
• Prepare periodic inventory reserves reconciliation, analyzing inventory for risk, and monitoring with support from internal stakeholders.
• Become heavily involved in month-end and year-end closing.
• Post journal entries and perform Balance Sheet Account Reconciliations.
• Analyzing plant financials and working with plant managers. Ad Hoc Reporting.
• Produce/develop production, variance, and other reports.
• Prepare, analyze, and report monthly gross margin by customer, part number, and production job.
• Cost-benefit analysis reports.
• Carrying out cost-volume-profit (CVP) analysis.
• Make-or-buy cost analysis.
• Profitability analysis by product or by product group.
• Inventory valuation and discrepancy reporting.
• Preparing audit reports and presenting their findings to management.
• Working with sales and engineering to ensure pricing to customers is profitable to the company based on volume/timing/long-term strategy, etc.
• Recommending changes to the company’s processes and policies to reduce cost and maximize profit.
• Advising management on appropriate costing based on financial data.
• Supporting other team members with tasks/duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
• Expert in Excel, using and manipulating large extracts, setting up pivot tables, lookups, etc.
• Significant hands-on experience using an integrated ERP system.
• Solid understanding of manufacturing operations, inventory, and cost accounting.
• Understanding of U.S. GAAP as it applies to a manufacturing environment is required.
• Strong analytical, communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Extraordinary interpersonal skills to work in conjunction with other departments.
• Must be a team player who also works well independently.
• Must be able to analyze data, draw conclusions, interpret results, and make recommendations.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
• 3+ years of recent cost accountant experience
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times