This position is responsible for providing engineering leadership to the business division, supervising a staff and overseeing the management of all employees in the department, working closely with all leaders in the business division and organization to provide technical leadership in order to achieve the business division’s goals and objectives, overseeing all cost reduction and continuous improvement initiatives, monitoring and confirming organizational adherence to policies, procedures, regulations and standard work and managing the department budget.
- Provide engineering leadership to the business division, including developing and implementing new engineering methodologies and processes for improved performance, quality and/or cost reduction. Work closely with other departments to ensure proper implementation of these initiatives.
- Directly supervise a staff and oversee the management of all employees in the Engineering Department by participating in and overseeing the hiring, work planning and direction, training and performance management processes. Set department priorities for utilization of resources on new programs.
- Lead NPI organization to ensure costing, project execution and product launch success.
- Work closely with all cross-functional leaders within the business in order to convey engineering expertise and assure the appropriate level of engineering support is being provided in order to achieve the business unit goals and objectives.
- Oversee all cost reduction and continuous improvement initiatives for Engineering, ensuring Lean principles are being implemented.
- Monitor and confirm organizational adherence to policies, procedures, regulations and standard work.
- Develop and manage the Engineering Department budget for the business division, working closely with the Operations team to ensure a collaborative approach toward the creation of each department’s capital equipment budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in Manufacturing Engineering or related engineering field (experience in lieu of a degree will be considered)
- Minimum five years relevant, progressive experience including supervising a staff and managing a department.
- Broad knowledge base of medical device machining processes, applications and technologies.
- Strong business knowledge. Experience leading significant business change and LEAN initiatives.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills, including the interpersonal and communication skills necessary to lead people and get results through others.
- Proficient PC skills in a Windows environment.
- Basic understanding of CAD/CAM systems utilizing solid modeling.
- Experience working within an ISO environment.
- Experience in a precision machine shop environment.
- LEAN / Six Sigma training and demonstrated application.
- Professional Engineering designation.
- Directly supervise a staff.
- 15 – 25 employees in the department.
- Manage department budget
Physical Demands / Working Conditions:
- Typically sits, grasps items and performs keyboarding for frequent operation of a computer.
- Stand, walk, bend, reach or otherwise move about occasionally.
- Lift, move or otherwise transfer items up to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Occasional exposure to typical machine shop physical hazards.
- Travel by air or car occasionally.